We would like to bring to your attention the following new developments for 2014:
New rates for gorilla tracking permits in Uganda
- Uganda Wildlife Authority has officialy confirmed its new rates for 2014-2015. Effective 1st January 2014 the fee of gorilla permits will increase from US$500 to US$600 per permit. Any gorilla permits secured before 2014 are still sold at US$500, regardless of the tracking date.
- Discounted rates for gorilla permits are offered during the months of April, May and November 2014 at US$350 per permit (discount of US$250 per permit!).
- The prices for gorilla tracking permits in Parc National des Volcans (Rwanda) remain at US$750 per permit.
Allocation of gorilla families in Bwindi National Park
It is no longer possible to purchase permits for a particular gorilla family in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, as we were able to do in the past. Instead, gorilla permits are issued per gorilla tracking area, which is similar to the system in Rwanda. The aim of Uganda Wildlife Authority is to assign gorilla groups on the day of tracking and in this way try to match the fitness levels to the location of the particular gorilla families – but no guarantees!
There are four gorilla tracking areas in Bwindi National Park:
- Buhoma area (3 gorilla groups)
- Ruhija area (2 gorilla groups)
- Nkuringo area (1 gorilla group)
- Rushaga area (5 gorilla groups)
Guaranteed permits for 2014
We currently have the following guaranteed permits available:
- 3 February 2014: 2 chimpanzee permits for Kibale Forest
- 7 February 2014: 2 gorilla permits for Bwindi National Park
Permits can be booked in combination with a tour to other national parks, completely adapted to your wishes. But book early as competition is high!